Thursday, February 25, 2010

Interesting By Association

Over the years I have discovered a hard truth about myself- I’m not that interesting.  I know what you’re thinking: ‘stop being so hard on yourself’ and ‘if you’re not that interesting why do you have a blog?’ but it’s the truth.  I’m not that interesting.  If there is anything interesting about me, it’s my friends. 

I have the most unusual assortment of friends possible.  Their professions run the gamut from teachers, performers, stay at home mom’s, missionaries, telemarketers, social workers and aquatics managers.  I even have two optometrist friends… and they’re married- to each other.  The small talk is endless with that kind of set up. 

Beyond their day jobs my friends also have very interesting hobbies / second jobs.  I currently have two friends writing books.  Books that will most likely be published.  How are these people friends with me?  One of them, my friend Lesley, recently sent me a draft of her book and it is so amazing!  It’s a book aimed towards teen readers so, naturally, I love every minute of it.  Like me, Lesley is a Twilight lover and an avid fan of all things Disney (Suite Life, Hannah Montana, you name it), so it makes sense that her book would relate so well to teens.

Side note: I am very jealous of teens these days since they have entire book series’ dedicated to them.  Don’t get me wrong- I absolutely enjoyed some Sweet Valley High books in my day.  Who didn’t love to check in with Elizabeth and Jessica?  But, it’s just not the same. (Should I be embarrassed that I just confessed to reading Sweet Valley High books as a teen?)

After Lesley sent me the latest copy of her book she told me that her newest novel focuses on a rich kid who gets mixed up with a bad girl.  And she used my last name for the girl character’s name!!  I wrote Lesley and told her she must have used my name because I, too, am a bad girl.  I think the response was something like “ha ha… yea right”.

Anyway, I am so honored to have my name attached with Les’ work.  I haven’t told her yet, but I am expecting to receive 25% of the profits and a dedication in the book. 

See?  I may not be interesting but I am expensive.

2 comments:

  1. I am so very honored to be in your blog! And I am also jealous of the teens--they so didn't have all this when I was one.

    Crystal, you will definitely receive 25% of the book's profit--what's 25% of nothing?

    You are such a bad, bad girl--just like Lily Chamberlain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica and Elizabeth Wakefield. Which one did you want to be? I always wavered between the two...

    You DO have some fun friends! :0)

    ReplyDelete