Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Olympic Fever. Catch It.

I have Olympic fever.  I ALWAYS get Olympic fever but the past two Olympics I have been especially riveted.  In fact, I know I went overboard with the ‘08 Beijing games because it was dark days for a while after the closing ceremonies.  I was practically in an Olympic coma those two weeks of August.

When I was a little girl I would watch the Olympics and imagine I was an ice skater or a gymnast (depending on which games were on) and try to come up with awesome routines.  I’m pretty sure every girl has imagined sticking the landing to win the Gold for her country.  And if you haven’t then… welcome to my blog, I an over sharer.  Anyway, in the 4th grade the Winter Olympics rolled around and it was the BIG one.  The one with all the important characters: Nancy Kerrigan, her knee, a baseball bat and Tonya Harding.  I was completely engrossed with all the drama on and off the ice.  In fact, that February I made an art project that was diorama of an ice skating rink with all the skaters on it.  I spent a lot of time on that thing, only to be utterly disappointed when Oksana Baiul (wearing a scrunchie) came outta nowhere and stole Nancy Kerrigan’s gold medal from her (I don’t know if I was more upset that Kerrigan got the silver medal or about the scrunchie).

So, this year I’ve been watching all the Olympic sports and enjoying myself immensely.  I find that sports I would never typically consider watching become so much more entertaining when there’s a gold medal on the line.  I was thinking as I watched figure skating tonight that I would really like to be able to skate up on one leg and if I could do anything, I’d just like to be able to skate on one leg.  But after thinking it through I realized that if I did learn how to skate on one leg I would still be disappointed because if you have to clutch the wall as you do it you don’t feel nearly as graceful as the ice skaters on tv.  Maybe I should focus on skating with both legs first.

All this to say, I’ve got Olympic fever, and clearly (after sharing that diorama story) it’s a sickness.

2 comments:

  1. not just a scrunchie...a pink feathered scrunchie!!! the worst of the worst!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to give my commentary on the Olympics right here in your comment sectiion, but then realized it would actually be way too long...so it's getting it's own post.

    I gotta say, one of my fave routines is Tara Lipinski and "Journey to the Past." AND SCRUNCHIE BUN.

    ReplyDelete