Monday, February 22, 2010

Confession Is Good For The Blog

I’ve decided that, while confession may be good for the soul, it’s really good for the blog.  Gives me something to write about.  In this particular case I’m going to have to confess something that isn’t going to paint me in the best light.  But, clearly, I’ve lost all my vanity, so I might as well go for it.

For the past two years I have issued a challenge for myself called the February Financial Fast  (that’s patented, so make sure you credit me if you decide to jump on board next February).  The basic gist is that for the whole month of February I don’t buy anything that isn’t an absolute necessity.  No clothes, movies, books, magazines, cd’s, etc. etc. etc.  I got this idea from my good friend Mari who gave up buying anything for herself for a FULL YEAR.  Clearly, I do not have her will power, so I choose to financially fast for a month. 

The shortest month. 

But still, 28 days is enough time to make a difference.  I don’t have a ton of money to begin with and so this month I wanted to save some and give some away.  It turned out that there was plenty of opportunity to give some of the money away, between birthdays, baby showers and a new tire for my car. 

I also managed to get my BFF Chelsea on board and she has done the Financial Fast with me the past two years.  It’s great accountability to have someone to go to when Target jewelry is screaming your name.  However, it’s also the worst case scenario when you mess up and you have a friend who will never let you live it down.

Which brings me to this weekend.  On Saturday my parents called and said they wanted to come down for the afternoon.  Once they arrived my Mom said she wanted to go shopping.  I knew I was in trouble.  Big time trouble.  But I didn’t say no.  I could have and Mom would’ve understood, but I didn’t.  I didn’t even mention the fast.  I at first tried to be good and not seriously look at anything, but let’s face the facts… it was a loosing battle.

One sweater and one wallet later (both on sale, thank you very much), and I feel dirty.  Not totally dirty, because my Mom paid for them, but still… I feel bad.  Mainly because I know that Chelsea will read this and a nasty phone call is sure to follow.

So, I guess this years’ fast has been extended by one day to make up for today.  March 2nd, here I come.

Until then, I’ll have my new sweater and a load of guilt to keep me warm.

2 comments:

  1. I'm baaaccckkk! I love this precious new layout. So cute! I have to go back and read all the other entries, and I'm so excited that I have an afternoon of reading!

    Also, I think your Financial Fast is such a great idea- I just don't even know if I could do that! I'm sure your sweater and wallet are adorable, and I hope you had fun shopping with your mom. That sounds like the BEST and I'm a little jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i don't think i even have the words to convey my disappointment. actually i shouldn't be too judgy cuz i am doing horrible with my lenten resolution...i hit the snooze three times this morning!

    ReplyDelete