Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Locked Down, Locked Out

On Saturday night my friend Yumi and I stopped at the grocery store to pick up a few things she was needing.  It was freezing cold that night so we rushed to the car after we were finished and stuffed all our purchases in the back seat before hopping in to take off.  I put my key in the ignition and quickly discovered something was seriously wrong.  All off a sudden a bunch of lights were flashing on my dashboard and the car wouldn’t even pretend to TRY to turn over.

I immediately go into panic mode.  I tried to make something happen a few more times before giving up.  So, I called the person that everyone calls in a panic situation- my dad.  I told him I thought my car needed a jump and he did the best he could from such a long distance.  He calmed me down and reminded me that I have roadside assistance, since I drive a new car that shouldn’t need a jump.

I called and the man managed to make it there in under an hour (and I’m not even being sarcastic when I tell you that it is the absolute FASTEST anyone has ever come to help me when I needed help, and I was truly very thankful).  The auto rescue man tried jumping my car four times before he finally told me the news: “I don’t think you need a jump.” 

So, while visions of dollar and cent signs danced in my head, he explained that my car had somehow enabled its anti-theft system and was no longer recognizing my key.  He said it needed to be taken to the dealership so it could be “coded” (whatever that means).  The temporary solution was to go back to my apartment, get my other key and pray it hadn’t been locked out of my car (it wasn’t- thankfully).

Basically, a thief could get INTO my car but just couldn’t drive away.  I’m sure that the next time my car gets broken into I’ll be incredibly thankful that the thief left my car where they found it… I’m sure I’ll barely notice the missing wheels, motor and stereo.  Thanks a lot technology.  You’re the best!

1 comment:

  1. I don't even know how that's possible. Why did that happen? It's like you drive the Batmobile. The Batmobile of the Future.

    ReplyDelete