Friday, January 8, 2010

It’s A RAP!

My freshman year of college I lived down the hall from a girl named Tabi Ekvall.  I had occasionally seen Tabi in the hallway, but my social awkwardness had kept me from introducing myself.  Then one day Tabi’s roommate asked us to come to their room to pray over Tabi since she was having surgery the next day.  Tabi had come to DBU on a soccer scholarship and somehow managed to seriously injure her knee during her first week of practice.  We prayed over her that day and from then on we were friends.

There are so many reasons to love Tabi: for one, she’s incredibly smart and has an incredible knowledge of people and cultures.  She’s also a movie lover- and I’m not talking about the latest ‘Squeakquel’ (although she probably knows all about that as well) she’s probably seen every independent film known to man.  She’s also an incredibly gifted artist and in college we would often paint together (unlike my very scary and sad attempts, Tabi is actually good). 

In addition to all these things she is hilarious and a loyal friend.  Tabi has been in Japan teaching English for (what feels like) a very long time and I miss getting to see her.

For my birthday last month Tabi sent me a message with a special celebratory rap inside.  All of it is hysterical but I’ve included my favorite verses here.

Concerning the fact that her rap arrived a few days after my bday:
I know, I know, I know, I can see,
I gots my calend`r in front o` me.
This may be late,
This ain`t da date,
But for perfection you`s gosta wait.

A final birthday wish:
But the time has now arrive.
Get jiggy, jump, and jive.
Bust a cap
Get out yo world map.
In Japan you`s gots a motha f`n chap!

I can’t put my finger on exactly what I love so much about this rap, but I CAN tell you that I love it.  And that’s a rap.

1 comment: