Thursday, March 4, 2010

Worry Wart

I am, by nature, a worrier.

I’m sure this comes as a big shock to all of you who know me and even the ones who have only read about my life on this blog.  Not.  Although I may occasionally come across as very laissez-faire the truth is my brain is usually firing on all synapses.  (That may or may not be something I just completely made up.)  The ADD within me will not allow me to rest for very long without coming up with some problem that means big time trouble.

Lately, however, I haven’t had much to worry about.  I’m out of school, I have the best and easiest job in the world and I don’t have any really stressful issues in my life at the moment.  Until this week.

For some reason this week has nearly done me in.  On Monday I had to send out parent newsletters for my students.  Not a big deal, but this month I had to ask for extra money because of an added fee, and then deal with the outcry.  Stress.  Tuesday I got myself all worked up over something so silly I don’t even want to go into the details because it’s so ridiculous (and I’d like to walk away from this blog with a little bit of pride still intact).  Stress.  Wednesday I had a little car accident.  I’m not even sure if it can be classified as an accident since it happened between me and a parked car, but still… Stress. 

So, after spending a few days upset for other reasons Wednesday’s Stress Factor was through the roof.  I could spend hours berating myself for making such a stupid mistake, because a PARKED car?  Hello?  When did I flash back in time to become a my 16 year-old self?

However easy it would be for me to completely freak out over everything, I’m not… anymore.  When I can’t give myself grace then I find it in my parents.  Even though I’m a 26 year-old semi-adult I look to Doug and Judy for help a lot, and they always come through for me.  As silly as it may sound, when you are a worrier, you spend a lot of time expecting people to be disappointed in you; but when they aren’t, when someone says ‘it’s not that big a deal’ or ‘it’s happened to everyone’ it feels like a miracle.

I don’t know why I should be so surprised.  My parents have never beaten me or berated me over a silly mistake before (and I promise you there’s been plenty of opportunities).  But, their kindness still surprises me.  They are tangible evidence of God’s grace in my life.

So, I am writing this post for three reasons:

1. To say thank you to my parents.  And to you, if you have coaxed me out of a nearly catatonic state of worry before.

2. To say I’m sorry to Flo (my car) and that other car.  I don’t know where my brain was, but clearly it had left the building when I scraped up against a PARKED car.

3. To promise that I am going to try and be better.  I’ll try not to worry as hard or as much anymore, since it doesn’t accomplish much and I don’t want to wind up in a padded room.

Now, I’m off to figure out how to stop worrying.  I wonder if there’s some sort of 12-step program.

2 comments:

  1. I am SO SORRY that this week has been so awful for you! And I'm SO SORRY that I have not called you back- that is not being a very good friend. What a sweet way to honor your parents. I love you.

    And in the words of Big Mouth Billy Bass (or my daughter, whose mouth can get as big as BMBB when she's screaming or starving, or actually, Bob Marley, I guess), "Don't worry. Be happy." :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We certainly want to support you any way we can! You are a wonderful daughter who we are very proud of. Next week will be better!!!! We love you!
    Mother and Dad

    ReplyDelete