Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The State Of My Obsession

The nature of my job requires me to have blocks of really busy time followed by blocks of nothing.  A lot of days I can fill the gaps in my schedule by copying music, making cd’s for students or sending out bills to parents.  However, there are several times during the month in which I have nothing to do.  I sit in my little practice room, at the table and try to keep myself occupied.

The truth is there’s only so much singing I can do in a day until I lose my voice or my mind, and there’s only so much reading I can do sitting in an uncomfortable chair bent over in an uncomfortable position.  So, I’m constantly coming up with ways to pass the time.  Occasionally, I’ll walk the halls at the school (but that’s a little creepy if you do it too often) and sometimes I’ll make phone calls, but unfortunately, my friends are all very important and their jobs or children don’t approve of me calling them just to chat at 10:40 on a Tuesday morning.

So, to occupy my time sometimes I play the state game.  In the state game you have six minutes to list all 50 states.  I know what you’re thinking… ‘Six minutes? Seriously? Give me a challenge’ but, I almost always forget one or two states (or occasionally six).  It’s a lot more difficult than it sounds.  Even though I’m just racing against the clock, the game has become a little bit of an obsession with me.  I HAVE to beat myself at it.

This week the obsession followed me home.  This website makes me feel like I’m in 3rd grade again.  Only dumber.  Last night I literally had to turn off my computer lest I lose my eyesight, mind and pride all in one fell swoop.

Try it.  Join my obsession and I dare you to beat me.

(But if you do beat me then please don’t tell me.  My fragile nerves couldn’t handle the defeat.)

2 comments:

  1. Wow. I might be too dumb to be your friend. I'm thinkin there's no way I'd be able to name all 50. If only I could remember the entire Animaniacs song...but I'm only good through "good ole Michigan."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's what's emabarassing about your geographical website: Not only does it say, "Error, 800 miles," but then you have to "please place state in correct spot." Or something. It's like an added insult.

    ReplyDelete