Thursday, April 22, 2010

Thursday Thoughts, 4.22.10

1. I am really in love with Spring.  I have to say God has gone above and beyond the call of duty this year and I am appreciating Spring more than ever.  This could potentially be caused by the unusually long, wet, cold winter we had this year, but all I know is that the wildflowers are out in full force and I am a big time fan.

2. Speaking of wildflowers.  While I love and adore the bluebonnet (the state flower of Texas) I am also a huge fan of Indian Paintbrushes (the tall red flowers) because they remind me of the pasture in front of my parents house.  In fact, one spring I picked about 250 Indian Paintbrushes and then walked next door and gave them to my Mamaw as a little present.  Those were happy days. 

3. Sitting in the movie theater freaks me out.  Half of me loves it because I love seeing movies and the other half of me despises it.  I just start thinking about all the possible things that could happen to me while I’m sitting there and I panic a little.  Crowded theaters are the absolute all-time worst, but theaters that have the entrance behind the seats (where I can’t keep an eye on the comings-and-goings) are a close second.  This is a relatively new development on the list of things that make me a little bit crazier than the average human.  It had never happened until about two years ago when Chelsea and I went to see “I Am Legend” and I nearly had to leave the theater because between the zombie/vampires and the throng of people I made myself almost sick with worry.  The second worst was going to see “The Dark Knight” on opening day- even now I can’t think about it without getting a chill.  I will confess that I occasionally feel this way in church too, but it usually isn’t dark in church so I’m ok for the most part.  Something about being restricted to my seat makes me feel like a sitting duck.  I don’t know what I think is going to happen but it just makes me nervous.

4. Today is Earth Day and in honor of that I purchased the new Sun Chips (Garden Salsa) which are packaged in a compost bag.  But, after I got the bag home I realized I was slightly uncomfortable because I wasn’t sure if the bag had been MADE from compost or was just compostable.  I’m still a little unsure and wary of the whole thing.  Which makes me sad, because “unsure” and “wary” are two words I never want associated with “Sun Chips”.

5. I know everyone (including me) says that girls talk more than guys, and I still think that’s true, BUT I have to say that when it comes to my students the roles are reversed.  The girls come in and we get right down to business, but the boys?  Maybe it’s something about my room that encourages boys to talk, but MAN ALIVE they are talkative.  So talkative that yesterday, in order to actually accomplish something, I finally had to start playing and singing over both my male students’ talking to get started for the day.  Somehow we discussed everything from their voice problems to the new Pokemon video game.  It made me realize, all over again, that the male of the species is still one big question mark for me.  Because, honestly, why a 7th grade boy would be willing to admit he’s still interested in Pokemon is completely beyond me.

1 comment:

  1. 1. & 2. The drive to Abilene was especially lovely. They're just incredible! And I bet a bouquet of 250 Indian Paintbrushes was bea-u-tee-fuull! I wish I had one right now to look at.

    3. Have you been talking to Daniel? When we eat out, he always has to face the door. We always end up doing a little dance around the waitress trying to get in the right places.

    4. I generally like Sun Chips. It's not like the love and need I have for Pringles and Chee-tos, but I like them enough.

    5. Boys=??? for. sure.

    ReplyDelete