Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The Stuff Dreams Are Made Of

I have a dream for my life that I rarely share with people. I mean I do share it occasionally, but usually it's done in a joking manner, so I don't horribly embarrass myself. But the truth is that it's a goal I'm very serious about. My dream is to learn how to blow glass.

I've often said I would like to live among the Amish so that they could teach me, but there may be a few flaws with that plan since I'm not sure the Amish work on a foreign exchange policy where they just allow people to come in willy-nilly and learn their trades and whatnot, plus I'm also not positive that the Amish blow glass. Maybe the whole Amish thing is just a completely different goal. However, recently I started to seriously look for a place to take a glass blowing class.

I mean I googled and wikipediaed and everything.

So, I found a location not too far away from me that gives lessons once a week. Apparently you have to first learn how to make a paperweight and then you get clearance to learn glass blowing. I can not tell you how excited I was. I was about to achieve one of my lifelong dreams.

Do you sense a 'but' coming?

BUT, apparently achieving lifelong dreams comes at a cost. A hefty cost. For the first four lessons in paperweights I can achieve my dream for the low, low price of (drum roll please....)
$804.38 (including tax).

Needless to say, I'll have to work on my lifelong dream of having more than $138 in my bank account first.

So, the moral of the story is: your dreams will cost you. About $800 worth of pocket change.

1 comment:

  1. You are a funny girl. If I had a million dollars, I would hire you to teach me how to live a simple Amish life, and you could be my professional glass blower. I mean, I don't even have a paper weight! I could always use more vases, and other glass blown objects...like drinking glasses. I have totally broken like, half of them.

    ReplyDelete