Friday, February 20, 2009

I'm Not Getting Any Younger.... Or Am I?

Since I am a grown-up I often do grown-up things. I pay my bills, I check the weather, I have a plant that I remember to water every other week and I baby-sit. That's right, folks. I am a 25 year old baby-sitter. I do this for a few reasons:
1. It keeps me young.
2. I really love the family that I baby-sit for.
3. The money doesn't hurt.
4. When you have the chance to meet and spend extended time with two of the coolest Pakistani-American children (who, on a regular basis, rehearse scenes from High School Musical- complete with microphones and AMAZING dance moves plus singing) you move heaven and earth to hang out with them.
So, when I went over to their casa last night I figured we would play a little Wii, maybe watch some Disney and inevitably be treated to some stellar singing and dancing; what I did not expect was a quarter-life crisis. I was talking with the kids when Omar said:
"Miss Crystal? How old are you?"

"It's not polite to ask a lady her age."

The twins quickly decide to begin a guessing game involving my age, always fun for everyone, right? Here is the exact transcription of the rest of that conversation:

"Are you 36?"

Honestly, it was just like taking a bullet. I answered that "No, I am not 36." To which the reply was:
"Are you 14?"

So, I probably shouldn't take this whole thing too personally.
But, I definitely will.

1 comment:

  1. 14?! I'm pretty sure when I was 14, I looked and dressed like a 24 year old, and now that I really am 24, I dress like a 14 year old. What can I say? I just love leggings. That has nothing to do with your post, but I love it!

    ReplyDelete