Sunday, February 22, 2009

The Bohemian Life

Last night my friend Cortnee and I went to see the Dallas Opera's production of 'La Boheme'. I thought it was beautiful and such a fun experience. First of all, the opera was breathtaking and really well done. Second of all:




James Valenti. Gorgeous and can SING. 'Nuff said.

Going to the opera has a few really wonderful advantages: great music, gorgeous singing, men who look like James, and you are sure to have some fantastic stories from the evening. Such as last night, when the city of Dallas decided to celebrate Mardis Gras in a big way at Fair Park. Since the music hall and Fair Park share a parking lot it made the evening both miserable and entertaining. Let me just preface this by saying it was about 30 degrees outside last night and we parked about 8 miles away from the hall. This, combined with the fact that some were dressed for the opera others were dressed for a rockin' good time at Mardi Gras led to some interesting combinations. I'll let you use your imagination, but I just have to say that wearing booty shorts and cowboy boots is a bold choice any day of the week, but it takes a lotta courage to wear them on a sub-zero night outdoors.

Is courage the right word?

Anyway, after Cortnee and I crossed the frozen tundra of the parking lot we spent some time hanging out in the lobby doing some people watching, and then made our way to our seats. This is when the real fun began. We were lucky enough to be sitting directly behind a very young couple who were also very in love. VERY in love. Let's just pause here for me to give you a little lesson in opera etiquette: Usually when people attend the opera they are interested in a night of refinement and class and typically this does not include watching you stick your tongue down the throat of your significant other. Did I say opera etiquette? I meant LIFE etiquette. The kissing wouldn't have been so bad if it weren't for the fact that they made the gross smacking sounds to go along with it. Luckily, after some barfing we managed to block the couple from our minds and enjoy the romance on stage.

I guess the moral of this story is that even if you think the opera is sure to be filled with nothing but drama and tragedy it can also be comedy gold. I promise.

1 comment:

  1. Ooo, he's dreamy! Lucky girl! What did you wear? I think life etiquette is something everyone should learn and obey. Period.

    For some reason, this opera story makes me think of your other opera story, about a cowboy at the opera who stood up and said something really funny [?]. I can't remember exactly, but I know it's funny, and I wish I could hear you tell it in person.

    ReplyDelete