Tuesday, November 10, 2009

What’s Next?

When I mention that I have just completed my master’s it is followed up almost instantaneously with the question, “what’s next?”.   It’s some sort of impulse, or perhaps it’s the kindest way of saying “what the heck can you even do with a Master of the Arts in Vocal Pedagogy???”. 

Well the answer to the question “what’s next?” IS (drum roll please)…

I have no idea.

And I’m not entirely comfortable with that answer.  I’m used to not having an answer, after college I couldn’t decide what to do next so I waited until I had already graduated before I finally agreed to follow God’s call to go to grad school instead of going to work.  I felt a strong sense of peace about that.  It was also a very exciting time.  A new adventure.  It felt like I was setting off on my own for the first time, (even more than moving off to college) and following my own path.

But now, two and a half years later, I feel like the time for huge life-changing adventures has passed me by.  Although I’m always game for small life-changing adventures.  And, maybe no direct command from the Lord IS a direct command.

So, if any of you have any suggestions for how a not-so-business-savvy-voice-teacher can get her ideal job (which includes over $138 being left in my bank account at the end of the month) then I’d love to hear it.  Bring on the suggestions!

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm...I'm not so hot with the professional career advice. But may I suggest Bow Maker? My baby is going to wear a bow in her hair every day for the next 18 years, and you don't have to be a professional to know that's a LOT of bows....so have fun! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If only the hot glue gun and I were still on speaking terms. I gave up the use of copious amounts after the infamous Octber of '07 when I had both monkey glue and hot glue stuck to my fingers in the same week.

    ReplyDelete