Thursday, March 12, 2009

The Spring Break Cycle

Why is that the educational system always somehow manages to find the coldest, bleakest wettest week of the year and claim it as spring break?

This seems to be a consistent problem and so I believe it must be a magical gift that the scheduling people have been given to arrange for what should be a week of fun-filled frivolity to take place at the time that God pre-ordained for the heaven's to open up and drench the earth. Plenty of college-aged girls will tell you that their chances for doing something truly stupid that would, at the time have been drunkenly hilarious, were ruined. And all because of the rain and wind and whatnot. They were probably forced to go skiing instead of heading for the beach.

All of that being said, I have a long and beautiful history with spring break. As a child my family would usually spend a weekend at my granny's house in central Texas and then return home for four or five days of freedom. As I got older I began to crave five uninterrupted days of watching soap operas, and would spend my break thusly. Oh, the years wasted on Days of Our Lives. Let's not even go there. Spring break during the college days either meant loads of clean laundry and a week of glorious, non-cafeteria food or maybe if I was truly lucky a road trip to some exotic location such as College Station to get really crazy.

And now, despite the fact that it is 38 degrees and drizzling outside, I will spend this spring break visiting home for my mother's birthday and a car buying expedition, then baby-sitting a few days and practicing. Like I said... beautiful.

And so, the spring break tradition continues.

1 comment:

  1. Okaayyy! Here I am, back to a computer that will actually turn on and stay on. I feel that spring break is always needed, but anti-climatic most of the time. Why the heck?

    I'm really glad I got to see you the other day!!

    ReplyDelete