Saturday, July 18, 2009

Complications

This summer I am spending a lot of time with a couple of six-year-olds.  I’ve been baby-sitting almost every day.  When I am not trying to pull my hair out in frustration I am usually laughing pretty hard at the crazy things they say and do. 

For the most part we get along really well, however, the little boy really likes to push the rules to the breaking point and because of that he often gets in trouble.  A lot. 

So the other day we were playing, and even though this day was really no different than any other, he began to feel persecuted by me.  So he picked up the phone and called his mom.  When she picked up this is what he said:

“Mom.  Ms. Crystal is being SO MEAN to me.  She is being so mean and I just can’t stand it.”

He put me on the phone, ready for me to get into trouble for being mean, and I explained that I was having some trouble with obedience on that day.  She said she understood and would be home soon.

Omar got back on the phone with his mom and they had a conversation.  I’m pretty sure she was telling him that he needed to try and be good when he responded with this:

“You just don’t understand Mom.  Things are just so complicated with her.  You just don’t get it…. she’s just too complicated.”

I wanted to laugh out loud, but I’m pretty sure he wouldn’t have taken kindly to that. 

I can honestly tell you that I had no idea I was so complicated.  All these years, I’ve been thinking that it was men, but obviously it’s me.  And all it took was one small six-year-old to show me the light.

No comments:

Post a Comment