Thursday, June 11, 2009

Putting the Ghetto in Ghettofabulous

They say that bad things happen in three’s.  Let’s all hope, for the sake of humanity, that it’s the truth.  You see, my home is falling apart and if anything else goes wrong my life may start falling apart too. 

It all began last week when I returned from my camping trip (pictures and stories pending) I noticed that my apartment was a little warm.  So I called my apartment complex to have them come and fix it up.  On a side note, don’t you love it when people give you completely ridiculous fixes for a problem?  In this instance, the lady said that maybe I should just flip the breaker and that would be the end of it.  Ok, lady.  While I appreciate your quick thinking and expertise on the subject…. It’s June.  In Texas.  I’m not risking ANYTHING when it comes to my AC.

Of course the guy gets here and tries to flip my breakers to no avail.  Come to find out all the wires in my attic had burned out and they wouldn’t be able to fix it till the next morning.  At which time I quickly turned tail and headed for the hills of Sherman and the air conditioned comfort of my parents’ house.  All of this was done on the assurance that my AC would be fixed first thing the next morning.

After spending the weekend in Sherman I came back Monday afternoon and discovered that I had entered an apartment which could give the seventh layer of hell a run for its money when it comes to heat.  It was over 90 degrees in my home.  Of course, you better believe I called that man right back and told him to hightail it over to my casa.

He finally showed up around 4:30 and said he had fixed it last week, but apparently the outside wires were shorting out the inside wires and they wouldn’t be able to fix it until the next morning.  This is the moment when I began to fear for my sanity…. and for his life.

Luckily, he came up with this classy solution:

038

039

(Pay no attention to all the dust and debris surrounding the window.  I’m positive that the maintenance men somehow managed to drag all that junk in with them.)

He borrowed a little window unit from another building and installed it for me.  Luckily this helped me make it through the night.  Although, I couldn’t move further than 10 feet away from the window unit at any point in the night.

By the time I got home from work the next day the AC was fixed.  Hallelujah!!

As I went to bed that night I managed to break my toilet.  It completely lost its flushing capabilities.  I’m really on a streak.

And if I EVER see that repair man again, it’ll be too soon.

1 comment:

  1. Well, maybe the dishwasher or washing machine, or kitchen sink or the lights or the plumbing or electricity or....I'll stop here. There are plenty of other things to break.

    I'm really glad the AC is fixed. Also, your curtains look lovely hanging above the window box thingie.

    ReplyDelete