Monday, June 14, 2010

Katy

Because I am nothing, if not a prompt and timely person, I am only one day late in getting this post up.  So, technically, imagine that this is all happening yesterday which is my dear friend Katy’s 26th birthday.  Here they are: 26 reasons that you should all love and adore her as much as I do.

006

1.  My second day at DBU I went to a welcome party and was sitting next to a girl who was kind of shy and wasn’t talking very much.  When I went back to my room later the girl was walking down the hall towards me, it was Katy.  Turns out we lived on the same hall and would continue to life on the same hall or in the same apartment for the next 3 1/2 years. 

2. For 3 years Katy and I also worked together.  Every Sunday night we would go and baby-sit at a local house church.  The fun was endless, although it was occasionally difficult to tell who the kids were: us or them.

3. Katy and I share a mutual love for the finer things in life.  Things such as: Pringles, Velveeta Shells and Cheese, Frozen Pizza, a plethora of fast food establishments- preferably Sonic or Chic-Fil-A, and, above all else, we love Queso.

4. If I’m ever in a store and I can’t decide on a dress or a purse, Katy is my go-to phone call or text message buddy.  She always helps me make the right decision.

5. This past year Katy became a Mama and she is so sweet, patient and loving to her little girl.  Ginger is a really lucky to have such an amazing Mom and it’s been so fun to see Katy become a Mother.

katy and ginger

6. Katy is beautiful- inside and out.

7. Katy is a really loyal friend and she just gets me.  It almost goes without saying, but it’s really rare to find someone who “gets me” without me having to explain myself in circles.

8. She got me hooked on Twilight.  I owe her big time for exposing me to Edward’s sparkly skin and ray-bans.

9. One day she and I are going to go on vacation and visit Charleston, South Carolina.  We decided to visit Charleston because one time, in our book club (our book club only included the two of us), we read Gone With The Wind and then decided to visit the old south.  Until we actually get to go on our vacation, we plan for it.  We are constantly on the lookout for cool things to do in Charleston.

10. Katy brought this little bunny into my life. 

Ginger Girl I’ll forever love her for that!

11. Katy and I are pen pals.  We talk a lot on the phone, text, twitter, email, and comment on one another's’ blogs but we also write each other letters, send cards and notes the old fashioned snail mail way.  There is nothing better than actually having something good in the mail box.  Especially when it’s from a sweet, sweet friend.  I don’t do this with many people, and I think it’s just something really special about Katy.  (Which reminds me, I need your new address Kates!)

12. We’ve been friends for a long time, and it just keeps getting better!

13. I really love Katy’s family.  If they would have me, I would spend tons of my free time hanging out with them, or going on vacation with them like we did a few summers ago.

n61800134_30150266_1059

14. In addition to number 13., Katy is married to Daniel, who is the kind of guy everyone should know and have in their life.  Not only has he brought lots of love and happiness into Katy’s life, he also taught me all about Bernoulli’s Principle of Aerodynamics, for which I am eternally grateful. 

15. One time I dyed Katy’s hair and it ACCIDENTALLY turned bright orange-red.  We’re talking Little Mermaid Orange-Red!  And we’re still friends.  She even let me dye it back the next day.  Forgiveness is important in friendship. (Although, for the life of me, I’ll never, ever, ever forget the hat she had to wear on her Ariel day before we could get her hair back to looking normal.)

16. Any sort of Law and Order: SVU marathon will make us both incredibly happy.  And if an episode of Arrested Development somehow found its way into the mix, we would die of bliss.

17. Since Katy grew up with sisters, she understands and appreciates the art of sharing.  Accessories, jewelry, shoes, clothes… you name I have been the benefactor of her generous spirit and adorable fashion sense!

18. This picture:

French Fry Fool

19. Katy is the best listener!  She doesn’t judge.  She just listens. And then she gently speaks truth into my life.

20. Sing-Alongs.  There’s nothing better than belting out some Kelly Clarkson, Selah, Amy Grant or show tunes in the car with Katy.  She’s amazing!

21. Katy loves the Lord, so much and has always had such a deep relationship with the Father.  She also has one of the sweetest Salvation stories.  Her walk is an inspiration to me.

22. Katy spent a summer in Shanghai, China and worked as a missionary- teaching children English.  If that wasn’t reason enough to love her, she also taught her little Chinese children all about Mary Poppins and they even put on a Mary Poppins play at the end of her time there.

23. Since Daniel’s job requires he and Katy to move quite a bit, I have gotten to visit them in several locations.  This may not be one of Katy’s favorite things, because I know she’d love to be closer to home, but it’s always fun to visit her- she’s the best hostess.

24. Katy always encourages me, and she ALWAYS makes me laugh!  Her humor is definitely one of my favorite things about her.

katy dress up 25. One time, in college, Katy scored free tickets for us to visit Six Flags and so she and I headed over to amuse ourselves for an afternoon.  However, we forgot that just because you have free tickets does not mean you have free parking.  We literally paid the $8 parking ticket with $4 in ones, $1 in quarters, $1.50 in nickels and dimes and (I kid you not) $1.50 in pennies.  It would have been embarrassing but we were too excited about all the roller coasters.

26. I love you dearly, Katy.  You are beyond words, and no list (even a 26 item-long-list) could ever describe how glad I am that we are friends and that we are getting to “grow up” together. 

Happy Birthday, sweet friend!

1 comment:

  1. So, we finally got some bootleg internet. Yea for comments! This is the sweetest, most heartfelt post, and I just love you dearly. You are a faithful, true-blue friend, and I'm so grateful for you and your sweet friendship.

    ReplyDelete